Blog Archive

In Times of Bereavement

In the unfortunate event that a person has passed away, there are three things that must be done in the first few days;

  • Get a medical certificate from your GP or hospital doctor (this is necessary to register the death)
  • Register the death within 5 days (8 days in Scotland). You will then receive the necessary documents for the funeral.
  • Make the necessary funeral arrangements.

Register the death

If the death has been reported to the coroner (or Procurator Fiscal in Scotland) they must give permission before registering the death.

You can register the death if you are a relative, a witness to the death, a hospital administrator or the person making the arrangements with the funeral directors.

You can use the ‘Register a Death’ page on the website that will guide you through the process. This will also explain the registration process for Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Arrange the funeral

The funeral can usually only take place after the death is registered. Most people use a funeral director, though you can arrange a funeral yourself.

Funeral directors

Choose a funeral director who’s a member of one of the following:

These organisations have codes of practice – they must give you a price list when asked.

Some local councils run their own funeral services, for example for non-religious burials. The British Humanist Association can also help with non-religious funerals.

Arranging the funeral yourself

Contact the Cemeteries and Crematorium Department of your local council to arrange a funeral yourself.

Funeral costs

Funeral costs can include:

  • funeral director fees
  • things the funeral director pays for on your behalf (called ‘disbursements’ or ‘third-party costs’), for example, crematorium or cemetery fees, or a newspaper announcement about the death
  • local authority burial or cremation fees

Funeral directors may list all these costs in their quotes.

Bereavement Care

Cruse Bereavement Care is the leading national charity for bereaved people in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The organisation offers support, advice and information to children, young people and adults when someone dies and work to enhance society’s care of bereaved people.

Cruse offers face-to-face, telephone, email and website support.  have a Freephone national helpline and local services, and a website ( specifically for children and young people. The services are provided by a network of 5,000 trained volunteers and are confidential and free. Information below:

Helpline 08088081677
Local number 01543433479

NSPCC & FGM – Female Genital Mutilation

1.NSPCC Share Aware:

Click here to access information about the NSPCC Share Aware campaign.

2. Female genital mutilation (FGM):

(sometimes referred to as female circumcision) refers to procedures that intentionally alter or cause injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons. The practice is illegal in the UK.

An estimated 137,000 women in the UK are affected by female genital mutilation (FGM). However, the true extent is unknown, due to the “hidden” nature of the crime.

The girls may be taken to their countries of origin so that FGM can be carried out during the summer holidays, allowing them time to “heal” before they return to school. There are also worries that some girls may have FGM performed in the UK.

In February 2014, the UK government announced plans to part-fund a new study into how many women and girls living in England and Wales are affected by FGM. This was part of a wider commitment to preventing FGM during the International Day of Zero Tolerance for Female Genital Mutilation. Read the 2015 Government declaration on female genital mutilation for details on other steps being taken.

A statement opposing FGM

The Statement Opposing FGM makes it clear that FGM is a serious criminal offence in the UK, with a maximum penalty of 14 years in prison for anyone found guilty of the offence. You should take this statement with you when you go abroad. You can show it to your family. Keep this statement in your passport, purse or wallet, which you should carry with you all the time.

• Download the FGM declaration (PDF, 223kb)

For more information please visit: Or email the practice in confidence your query will be dealt by the Practice Nurse and Admin Safeguarding Lead

Leaflets to Download

The Department of Health has published a leaflet giving information about FGM in the following languages:

Leaflets to Download

The Department of Health has published a leaflet giving information about FGM in the following languages:

More about FGM – English version (PDF, 248Kb)

Mwy o wybodaeth am FGM – Welsh version (PDF, 175Kb)

ስለ ኤፍ ኤም ተጨማሪ መረጃ  – Amharic version (PDF, 1.09Mb)

مزيد من المعلومات حول ختان الإناث – Arabic version (PDF, 177Kb)

FGMاطلاعات بیشتر درباره – Farsi version (PDF,221Kb

Renseignements complémentaires sur les MGF – French version (PDF, 182Kb)

FGM زانیاری زیاتر دەربارەی – Kurdish Sorani version (PDF, 246Kb)

Macluumaad dheeraad ah ee ku saabsan FGM – Somali version (PDF, 196Kb)

Habari zaidi kuhusu ukeketaji wa wanawake – Swahili version (PDF, 176Kb)

ብዛዕባ ኤፍ ኤም ተወሳኺ ሓበሬታ – Tigrinya version (PDF, 766Kb)

ایف جی ایم کے بارے میں مزید معلومات – Urdu version (PDF, 188Kb)

Other organisations that can help

Helpline: 0800 1111

FGM helpline: 0808 028 3550

Metropolitan Police (Project Azure – FGM)
Helpline: 0207 161 2888

Helpline: 0800 555 111

Foundation for Women’s Health Research & Development (FORWARD) Helpline: 0208 960 4000 Website:

Equality Now
Telephone: 0207 304 6902

Daughters of Eve
Text: 07983 030 488 Website:

FGM National Clinical Group

Dementia Support

The word dementia describes a set of symptoms that may include memory loss and difficulties with thinking, problem-solving or language. Dementia is caused when the brain is damaged by diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease or a series of strokes. Dementia is progressive, which means the symptoms will gradually get worse. Find out about how dementia is diagnosed.

We also have the latest stats on dementia.

Helpful links: 

1. Dementia UK:

2. Dementia Friends:

3. Alzeimer’s Society:

4. Caring for someone with Dementia:

5. Age UK:

Healthwatch Cheshire East

Healthwatch Cheshire East, part of Healthwatch Cheshire, is an independent voice for the people of Cheshire East to help shape and improve local health and social care services.

We want to hear about your views, needs and experiences to help Cheshire East get the best possible health and social care.

Social Prescribing

Social prescribing is a service provided by non-healthcare professionals called link workers. Link workers aim to support individuals with a range of social, emotional, or practical needs through referrals to non-clinical services in the community. These services can include day centres, charities, and community groups.

We are a practice that encourages our patients to increase their well-being through physical activity and healthy diets. Social prescribing is a great way to get involved in the community and participate in exciting activities that not only improve your health but also benefit the environment. If there are nature-based activities that interest you, please speak to Social Prescriber Shellie.

Patients have already participated in the following activities:

Other support services can also be found at:

Non-NHS Services

Some services provided are not covered under our contract with the NHS and therefore attract charges. Examples include the following:

  • Medicals for pre-employment, sports and driving requirements (HGV, PSV etc.)
  • Insurance claim forms
  • Prescriptions for taking medication abroad
  • Private sick notes
  • Vaccination certificates

The fees charged are based on the British Medical Association (BMA) suggested scales and our reception staff will be happy to advise you about them along with appointment availability.

Please note: Passports and shotgun licences are no longer signed by the doctor.

Sexual Health

The World Health Organisation describes sexual health as being fundamental to the health and well-being of individuals, couples and families,

and to the social and economic development of communities and countries.

The ability for people to achieve sexual health and well-being depends on their ability to access sexual health care.

Cedars medical centre offers contraceptive counselling, sexual health support and guidance, screening for more common STI’s, and the on-site fitting of Long-Acting Reversible Contraception.

Specialist care can also be accessed if required.

Self Certification

You do not require a doctor’s sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or on the HMRC website.

Evidence that you are sick

If you are sick for more than seven days, your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (statutory sick pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A medical certificate, now called a ‘Statement of Fitness for Work’ (see below) from your doctor is strong evidence that you are sick and would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a medical practitioner, e.g. a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable. If your employer has any doubts, they may still ask for a medical certificate from your GP.

Statement of Fitness for Work – ’Fit Note’

The ‘fit note’ was introduced on 6 April 2010. With your employer’s support, the note will help you return to work sooner by providing more information about the effects of your illness or injury.

For more information see the DirectGov website (where this information was sourced).